We want to help you get started on documenting billing information in Elation, and take you through this process step-by-step here.
Step 1: Locating the billing window
At the bottom of each Visit Note template, there is a button to "Add Billing Information." Click this button to open the billing window.
Step 2: Documenting billing information
1. Click in the Procedure code field to search for the Procedure code you want to document.
You can search by:
- Typing in the procedure code
- Typing in the description text of the procedure code you are looking for
- Scrolling through the list Elation automatically shows you, which includes your practice’s popular procedure codes.
If you have not yet created list of procedure codes for your practice in Settings, click here to learn how.
2. Click in the Modifier field to type in the modifier code, as needed.
3. Click in the Dx code field to search for the ICD-9 / ICD-10 code you want to document.
You can search by:
- Typing in the Dx description text
- Typing in the ICD-9 code
- Typing in the ICD-10 code
Bills on Visit Notes with Date of Service on 10/1/15 or later must have ICD-10 codes to comply with the new federal requirement. Read more about the ICD-10 transition in billing in the Frequently Asked Questions section below.
Step 3: Adding in service location & additional billing notes
Once you have finished adding all of the necessary procedure codes, modifiers, and ICD-9 / ICD-10 codes, complete your bill by entering the appropriate service location and writing any necessary billing notes.
1. Select the service location for this bill.
- This list of options is pulled from your list of service locations in Settings. If you need to add a new location, click “Edit Locations”.
- If you recently added a service location in Settings, you may need to click “refresh list” for it to appear in the list of service locations to select for the bill.
2. Add any additional billing notes needed in the Notes field.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I edit my billing information at any time?
Yes! To edit the billing information before a visit note is signed off, simply click "edit billing" where the billing information you've entered is displayed at the bottom of the visit note.
To edit billing information for a visit note after that visit note is signed, find the visit note in the chronological record in the patient's chart and click Actions > Edit Bill.
2. Is there any other way to add Dx codes to my bill, aside from documenting inside my visit note?
Yes, you can also add ICD-9's and ICD-10’s to your bill by exporting the problems in your patient’s Problem List.
To do so, click any of the “Export to Note” options that exports to Billing, from the patient’s Problem list.
Note: When exporting problems from the problem list, you will be unable to export to the Billing section if the problem has not been crosswalked to ICD-10.
3. Can I always have my billing show both ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes for Dx?
Elation will automatically record both the ICD-9s and ICD-10s every time a user selects a Dx, and will always send both code types to a PMS system in the appropriate order before and after 10/1/15. If you would like to view the ICD-9 codes being associated with the ICD-10 codes on a given bill, you can do so by checking off the "Show dual coding" checkbox on the form.
You can make the “Show Dual Coding” checkbox always checked by default by switching on the "Show Dual Coding by Default" in Settings > Preferences.
4. Can I add charges and additional info on bills?
Turn on Invoicing, to add on “Charge” and “Qty” fields to your billing forms. Read more about turning on invoicing here.