What is direct messaging?
Direct messaging, also simply referred to as DIRECT, is a safe and secure way for providers to engage in point-to-point communication and share of patient data with providers in other EHRs.
Elation’s direct messaging feature allows providers to send and receive messages and automatically populate/import patient information into charts. Providers can now communicate and collaborate with providers from other EHRs all within one system.
What does my Direct Message email look like?
Your direct message email will be in the following format: firstname.lastname@practiceID#.direct.elationemr.com. For example- email@example.com. This will be stored in your Surescripts account for you to use towards the Direct Messaging feature. You will automatically be assigned an email in this format when using this feature.
How to send a direct message:
2. Select the recipient you would like to send a direct message to from your directory and ensure the provider can send and receive direct messages. You can check this by:
a. Looking to see if there is a ‘direct’ tag associated with the provider
b. Opening their profile and checking if they have a direct address
3. Click ‘Select Chart Items to Attach’ to attach the patient documents or reports you would like to include in your message.
4. Click ‘Sign & Send’
5. You will receive a notification once the message is sent (as shown below). If the recipient has fax, email, and direct messaging in their profile, Elation will send your message to each channel. The screenshot below shows what these notifications will look like. In this case, the direct message was sent successfully but the fax message failed.
Receiving a direct message:
1. Check your ‘Provider Letters’ queue on your practice home page to view incoming Direct Messages.
2. Direct messages will also appear in the requiring action section for the patient. Providers will need to sign off on these messages.
3. Click on each attachment to view.
a. If there is a patient summary attached to the message, it will appear above the direct message. The data from the patient summary will be automatically imported only when there is a new patient chart created through the direct message.
The data from the CCD file will not automatically import. You may click on the patient summary and click on import the data appropriately! The data will be imported directly into the patient profile on the left.